What are the penalties for a DUI conviction in Nevada?
- A first-offense DUI conviction is classified as a misdemeanor, provided there was no serious injury or death involved. It could give you up to six months in jail, with a minimum of 2 days or 48 hours of community service. You will have to attend Nevada DUI school, at your own expense. The court will also impose fines of $400-1000, plus court fees, typically $680 in Nevada. Your license will also be suspended for 90 days. After 45 days you may be able to get a restricted license, so you can commute to and from work. You will have to attend a Victim Impact Panel, a two-hour class on the potential consequences of DUI.
- If your Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) was more than 0.18, the court will order an alcohol or drug dependency evaluation ($100 at your expense) and possible a drug/alcohol treatment program. You might also be ordered to have a Nevada Breath Interlock Device installed in your car.
- After 7 years, you will be able to have your case sealed.
A 2nd time DUI conviction…
- Within 7 years from the first conviction, is also a misdemeanor, provided there was no serious injury or death involved. Court might order up to 6 months in jail with a minimum of 10 days. This usually takes place at Clark County Detention Center. Fines will be up to $1000 plus court costs. You will be ordered another alcohol or drug dependency evaluation at a cost of $100, along with an alcohol and drug treatment plan. A Nevada breath Interlock device will be installed in your car if your BAC was over 0.18, for as long as up to 3 years. Your driver’s license will be suspended for a full year.
A 3rd DUI conviction…
- Means imprisonment in Nevada State Prison for 1-6 years. It’s considered a felony (category B) even without serious injuries involved. The fines will be much higher; $2000- $5000. Another alcohol or drug dependency evaluation will be ordered, along with 3 years of the Breath Interlock Device on your vehicle. Your driver’s license will be suspended for 3 years as well.
Call Now For A Consultation